Photo, Ljiljana Maletin, Novi Sad, Serbia photo: Dragan Vojvodic
Ljiljana Maletin Vojvodic is a published author whose work includes novels (Dwarves and Hyperborea, 2008, 2013, In Exile, 2011, Those who eat row meath, 2013), non-fictional narratives (Finland-land of Kalevala, lakes and saunas, 2011, Norwegian story, 2013, Proust’s ‘madeleine at the supermarket, 2016), photo-books (Vanishing home, 2016), conceptual Art Books (Gothenburg Art Book, Gothenburg, 2014, Fabrikken, Bergen, 2015, Instruction as writings, Bergen, 2015; Novi Sad, 2016) and art journalism.
She has participated in international projects and artist-in-residence programs in Portugal, Spain, Latvia, Norway, Sweden and Greenland.
During 2009, she was awarded Second Prize for best contemporary novel in the Serbian language (Milutin Uskokovic, Medjaj, Uzice). As a photographer she merited a special prize for a project on Iceland by the Photo-Movie Association, Belgrade, Serbia, 2008.
She was awarded by several artist-in-residency grants and collaborated also with the visual artist Dragan Vojvodic, on his projects in Finland, France, Norway and Iceland.
Ljiljana’s subjects include image studies, scandinavian studies, intercultural dialogue, tradition & contemporary art and women’s art and artists.
After publishing books at several renewed publishing house in Serbia (Mediterran publishing, Prometej, Novi Sad), after being awarded by several international artist-in-residencies grants, Ljiljana Maletin started a carrier as a conceptual writer. Her latest writings Fabrikken, Bergen, Norway, 2015. Gothenburg Art Book, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2014; “who?” makE Künst?, Bergen, Norway, 2014. are project based, and her highly conceptual approach – combination of literature with visual arts – includes a mixture of collage and re-writing recycled found texts. They are art books about being an artist, being creative, about values in contemporary art, but books about writing also: how to create a book, about different writing discourses, writing process and techniques etc.
Kea words: Conceptual writings, art books, recycling, different writing discourses, non-creative writings.
I am oriented towards art & culture. The essence of my interest is art and the artist, in literal and figurative meaning.
In my writings, I make references to contemporary women visual artists, writers, musicians, photographer, directors… in a very personal blend.
My writings are about transforming my experience into something textual. My narratives are all between reality and fiction (a journey into interior of the mind). Meanings, connotations and associations come after initial experience. So, being a writer means healing my own wounds and opening them, again.
I have been inventing fictional and non-fictional narratives since I started to experience traveling as a way of generating my life and desire. Traveling inspired me to work in several literary genres (fictional novel, short stories, research essays etc.).
Writing and traveling have a lot in common: life around us doesn’t support our habits and the way we observe things anymore and we need to be more open, flexible and artistic…
Simply being a Serbian is no longer enough for me – I need to utilize the talent of people from different culture, tradition, religion and I am trying to understand what people have in common and what divides them at an individual, national and cultural level; to understand the complexity of the concept of national and personal identity. So, that is the reason why traveling is the most important elements in my artistic life.
Since 2006 I have been trying to paint a portrait of people and environment based on my imagination, personal experience and image studies. I took part in artists’ retreats in Iceland, Portugal, Spain and Finland.
During July 2010, upon a recommendation from the Upernavik Museum Curator, I was selected by the Museum Board to be the writer-in-residence at Upernavik Museum in Artic Greenland, the most northern museum in the world.
During 2012/2013, I was working on project at USF Verftet in Bergen, in Norway. In August 2013. I was writer-in-residence at Meson Arthouse in Norway, as well. During July, 2014, I took part at Konstepidemin sumer program in Gothenburg, Sweden and return to USF Verftet in Bergen during December 2014 and January 2015. In summer, 2015, i took place at Frida Hansens Hus in Stavanger.
KEYWORDS: Image studies, self-images/images/mirages, identity, differences, similarities, cultural integrations, women’s writing, women’s contemporary visual art, conceptual writing, art books.
Magistra der Philosophie (Serbo-Croatian Language and Literature) Department of Literature, University of Novi Sad, Serbia (GPA: 9.36/10.00)
Artist-in-residence grants, scholarships and programs:
– Erro Nelimarkka museum residency, Finland, 2016.
– Frida Hansens Hus, Stavanger, Norway, 2015.
– USF, Verftet, Bergen, Norway, 2014/2015.
– Konstepidemin, Göteborg, 2014.
– Art-House Messen, Alvik, Norway, 2013.
– USF, Verftet, Bergen, Norway, 2012, 2013, 2014/2015.
– Cite des Arts des Paris, Paris, 2011.
– Upernavik Museum, Upernavik, Greenland, 2010.
– Vetspils Writers House, Ventspils, Latvia, 2009.
– Rodriguez Amat foundation, Les Olives, Spain, 2008.
– Obras Foundations for Art and Science, Evoramonte, Portugal, 2007.
Collaborated with visual artist Dragan Vojvodić at his projects in France, Finland and Iceland (2006-2014)
– Proust’s ‘madeleine at the supermarket (together with #action by visual artist Dragan Vojvodic), Artbox/Artprint, Novi Sad, 2016.
–Those who eat raw meat, (English language) Artprint, 2016.
–Vanishing home, photography, (English language), First edition, Novi sad, 2016.
– Instruction as writings, limited art edition, First Edition, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2016.
– Instruction as writings (conceptual art book, English language) Art Books, Amazon, kindle, Norway, 2015.
– Dwarves and Hyperborea, (fictional novel, English language), Kindle Amazon, 2014.
– Eaters of row meath, (fictional novel, Serbian language), Mediterran publishing, Novi Sad, 2013.
– Norwegian story, (Anthology of Norwegian literature published in Serbia, Serbian language), Prometej, Novi Sad, 2013.
(Norwegian Embassy grant)
– In Exile, (fictional novel, Serbian language), Prometej, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2011.
– Suomi, land of Kalevala, lakes and saunas, (non-fictional book, Serbian language), Prometej, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2011.
(Finnish Embassy grant)
– Karlovacka gimnazija, co-author, (non-fictional book, Serbian language) Novi Sad, Prometej, 2010.
– Icelandic guide: Dwarfs and Hyperborea (fictional novel, Serbian language), Mala Velika knjiga, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2008.
Art Books (handmade, limited edition):
– Instruction as writings (conceptual art book, English language) Bergen, Norway, 2015.
– Fabrikken (conceptual art book, English language) Bergen, Norway, 2015.
– “who?” makE Künst? (conceptual art book, English language) Bergen, Norway, 2014.
– Gothenburg Art Book, (conceptual art book, English language) Gothenburg, Sweden, 2014.
– Writer whose novels, short novels, biographies and articles were published in several books (Beografiti, Alma), literary magazines (Sveske, Letopis Matice srpske, Beogradski knjizevni glasnik, Polja, Nova misao), television (B92), newspapers (Danas, Gradjanski list) and internet (B92, P.U.L.S.E., e-novine)
– Literary lecturer at the grammar school “Karlovačka gimnazija” in Sremski Karlovci, (founded in 1791), 2000-present.
– Author of Literary Workshop, Norwegian-Serbian Cultural Cooperation, Karlovacka gimnazija, Serbia, 2013.
– Author of Literary Workshop, Finnish-Serbian Cultural Cooperation, Karlovacka gimnazija, Serbia, 2012.
– Participated at the The European Union Delegation and Ministry of Culture and Information supported campaign dedicated to media literacy targeted at secondary school students in Serbia, 2015.
– Programme Associate at Multicultural and Multiethnic Creative Performance, Ministry of Culture and Human Rights, Belgrade, Serbia, 2009, 2010.
– Vetspils Writers House residency grant, Ventspils, Latvia, 2009.
– Programme Associate at Multicultural and Multiethnic Creative Performance, Government of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2008.
– Participated in Literary Festivals as a writer (Femfest, Zagreb, 2006.) and programme associate (International Prose Festival, Prose Fest, Novi Sad, 2007- 2009).
– Editor of Prose, novel collections, published by Karlovačka gimnazija, Sremski Karlovci, Serbia, 2007.
– Editor-in-chief of “Branko” a literarymagazine, Sremski Karlovci, Serbia, 1995, 1996.
– Adviser for M. A. language students from the USA, Azbukum, Center for Serbian language and culture, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2006.
– Participated at several international workshops and international project on cultural integration and intercultural dialog (organized by GTZ, Germany, Zuroff Siemon Wiesenthal Centrein Serbia, Novi Sad School of Journalism) (2000-2012)
Represented in books of short stories and stories (Serbian language):
– Pichweis, Sarajevo, Bih, 2012.
– Medjaj, Uzice, Serbia, 2009.
– Najkrace price, Alma, Serbia, Beograd, 2005.
– Otisci srca planete, Serbia, Beografiti, Beograd, 1999.
–Other works – exhibitions:
(Video works and photography /cover pages for books, photos in books and individual works)
– Museum Night, Museum of Contemporary Art, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2008, 2011.
– Men in Women’s Eyes, Gallery “Jefimija”, Belgrade, Serbia.
– 7 KEF, Rex Center, Belgrade, Serbia 2006;
– Art-Tech Belgrade, Serbia 2006;
– Cafe Moscow, Berlin, Germany, 2006;
– Mobil Eye 2, Night of the Museum, British council & Gallery “Žad”, Belgrade, Serbia, 2006;
– Femfest, Zagreb, Croatia, 2006.
– First prize for the best contemporary novel in Serbian language in 2015, Andra Gavrilovic prize, 2016.
– Special prize for Creative interactive workshop called Norwegian story. Awarded by Serbian Governmen, Ministry for science and education, 2015.
– First prize for Literary workshop among Karlovci Crammer school students. Awarded by Serbian Governmen, Ministry for science and education, 2014.
– First prize for Literary workshop among Karlovci Crammer school students. Awarded by Serbian Governmen, Ministry for science and education, 2013.
– Norwegian Embassy at Belgrade grant, Belgrade, 2013.
– First prize for Literary workshop among Karlovci Crammer school students. Awarded by Serbian Government, Ministry for science and education, 2012.
– Special prize for newspaper article about Prishtina published at Belgrade newspaper Danas (awarded by Danas newspaper&Kontiki travel agency), 2012.
– Finnish Embassy in Belgrade grant, Belgrade, 2011
– Second prize for the Workshop on Finnish-Serbian Cultural Cooperation, Belgrade, Ministry of Education and Science, 2011.
– Upernavik museum residency grant, Upernavik, Greenland, 2010.
– Special prize for the Workshop of Creative Writings, Government of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2010.
– Second prize for the best contemporary novel in Serbian language, Medjaj, Uzice, 2009
– First prize for the Workshop of Creative Writings, Serbian Ministry of Education, Belgrade, Serbia, 2009.
– Second prize by the Serbian Ministry of Education, as the editor of the student’ s book “Prose”, Belgrade, Serbia, 2008.
– Special prize for a series of photos from Iceland, Photo-Movie Association, Belgrade, Serbia, 2008.
– First prize by the Serbian Ministry of Education as the mentor work for Essay about the Serbian play writer Jovan Sterija-Popovic, 2007.
– Special prize for best writings on the TV B92, Dolce vita in Venice, 2005.